Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Uncanny

This book really had me reading it over and over to actually understand what was being said. I understood some parts of it like the childhood memories, but the screen memories I don't really understand what that is. I'm looking forward to the lecture in class about this book and a better explanation on what exactly a screen memory is.

The daydreaming chapter I understood almost everything that was being explained. We daydream all the time even when we don't know it and children's daydreaming are much easier to expose than adults. Adults are ashamed of what they fantasize about because they feel it won't be normal and that no one else is thinking the same. This is true because sometimes I feel like the things I daydream about other people would never think about. I'm embarrassed as well because I'm scared of what people might say about my fantasies. Children's daydreaming are so much easier to expose because they don't even know their doing it most of the time. They think it's real and that everyone is playing along with them.

The chapter on Leonardo I kind of understand, but were they saying that he was a homosexual and it wasn't allowed during that time as an artist?

2 comments:

  1. Oh...you only have to read the essay on The Uncanny! The book has several essays in it, but we are only going to look at that one.

    (yes you are right about Leonardo)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay thank you for letting me know that.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.