I finally figured this thing out! Yesss! So happy :)
Freud's essay "On Dreams" really made a lot of sense to me. I love how Freud always believes in a deeper meaning to things, no matter how irrelevant they may seem in a dream. For example, I recently had a disturbing dream where I was trying to catch a blue octopus that escaped from a fish tank. I woke up so irritated that I was never able to catch it at the end. Its obvious that there was this octopus that I was unable to catch, but what am I not seeing? I really examined this dream, and thought to myself, wow what a struggle it was to attempt to catch the blue octopus, and not succeeding. I finally realized that to me that octopus was representing something in my life that I was struggling with. My dream manifested my struggle as an octopus, which sounds so ridiculous but its so interesting as well.
There was so much I did not know about the unconscious, and hearing that it means more then just not being aware of it, and that its a complicated mental process opened my mind more. I would love to explore it more with my mind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think that of all the many essays and articles Freud wrote, On Dreams still strikes most people as the most provocative and immediately useful. As I remarked below, though, remember for him the dream itself is the means to get somewhere else: to the Unconcious, and for us in this class, those means are what we want to spend time with: the process of "re-narrating."
ReplyDelete