Thursday, September 29, 2011
Sandman
The Sandman was a very interesting and weird story overall. At first when I started reading it, I had no idea it was going to be that weird even though Professor Estevez told us. The story basically starts off with a character named Nathaniel who has an obsession in finding out who this "Sandman" is after he was told every night to go to bed because the sandman would be coming. I was a bit confused because he begins to write now to his girlfriend Clara and thats where he begins to really hallucinate or begin to imagine all of these weird things that he thinks are after him. The fact that he falls inlove with a mechanical doll, Olympia is just too strange for words. Overall, when we discussed yesterday the whole story line it was easy to see the events that happened. The story is long and detailed but only a few events occur and are repeated. There are many " eyes, fathers and fires" happening atleast twice and the characters are playing the same role over again. The ending was something you could imagine happening because it was alittle more realistic than it ending with him marrying Olympia or something even stranger than that! I am looking forward into reading the Uncanny since The Sandman was an introduction to that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Think about what elements were most unsettling to you, and then try to read them the way Freud reads dreams...
ReplyDelete