I love discussing this topic on dreams because I think it is something we can all relate to. I mean how many dreams have you had that you wake up and just can't come up with a reason for dreaming something so random and wierd.
I loved reading Freud's dream that he uses as an example to show us how dreams can come from our unconscious, I like how Freud broke down his dream and thought of things that sparked these dreams. I like how he made different associations with 'table d' hote' and tried to understand why that was a part of his dream. It's interesting how as he is "investigating" his dream most of his associations seem to lead back to one thing, debt or owing something. It is also interesting how he says at first the dream was disconnected unemotional and unintelligable and meaningless but after look at the thoughts beyond the dream it was actually intense , logical and affective. After reading Freud's essay I have to say I agree with his argument that dreaming is overlooked and can be significant to who we really are. It's kind of odd to think there is a part of us we will really never know, but our dreams seem to be proof that there is a part of us we can never connect to. I also enjoyed reading the part about how childrens dream are easier to read because children don't have much to think about and that all our dreams seem to be as he says "wish fulfilments."
I also remember discussing in class how someone had a dream and then a couple of days later it came true and this was a "predictive dream." This acutally was fascinating to me. Last winter I kept having dreams that each one had some type of car accident involved. I had no idea what connection it was to me that these dreams kept occuring but about a week later my brother got in a very bad accident, so it was really strange to me because I had those dreams. Now discussing the way Freud analyze dreams, I realized that maybe these dreams were associated with my past and the three car accidents I was in or maybe it was because of my worry with my brother because he always texts and drives.
So it seems that these dreams really do show a part of us we will never really know which is our unconscious.
This topic really is fascinating to me and I actually plan on recorded the next meaningless dream I have and seeing if it really is so meaningless.
Freud is trying to figure out why we do dream which I think is a good question, but a question I would have for Freud is what would he say to people who claim they never dream?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Freud would say that all people dream. Those who think they don't just don't remember their dreams, which for Freud would be a suggestion that maybe something wasn't working right (or working all too well)?
ReplyDelete