Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Sandman

It was definitely a hard to understand story. Looking forward to the lecture in class , because that will help understand the sandman better. it will be interesting how Freud explored this strange story in the Uncanny. I just started reading Uncanny after reading The Sandman with the hope of getting some of my questions answered. I think The Sandman is a great introduction of Uncanny if we are going to be exploring same sort of issues in the Uncanny as well. Througout the whole reading of The Sandman, i tried to relate Nathanel's condition with Freud's essay on Dream and Hoffman's real life. Nathanel was simply relating most hatefull and dangerous figure of his imagination which was Sandman, to the same type of person in real life who was Cappelious. He was dreaming about the things that he was experiencing. His situation was worst than a normal dream. I believe he was sick. Hoffman's affair with young girl seems parallel to Nathanel's attraction towards Olympia. Right before the very end where Nathanel woke up among his family including his mother, I thought this story is very easy to analyze. Nathanel got to be a mentally sick man who made up things like when he tried not to let his mother know about his encounter with Coppla, because he thought she also believed he is responsible for her husband's death. I also could not understand the importance of eyes.

1 comment:

  1. It is clearly a strange story! There seems to be such an abundance of "unnecessary" details....the eyes! Eyes are all over this story! I think the issue of N's "illness" is less obvious: the story suggests that some things could be hallucinations, but nowhere are we given definite proof that they are. One of the other strange things about the story is this indeterminacy.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.