Tuesday, September 13, 2011
on intelligibility
I found our lecture on monday interesting because it has something to with the world around us and how we never seem to really realize where things originate from. Our language has now become symbols that we easily remember by what it looks like or where it is. I also thought that the different languages had most of the same translation of words from the english language. I believe that each day we learn more symbols in our language that we will memorize. We never think to where language and subjectivity first originates from. For example, when relating to clothing for gender, back then pants would mostly fit into the male catergory. As time went on, we were able to relate the word pants to females as well. This shows that our language and symbol interpretation will continue to change more and more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm happy if you get a couple of ideas out of what we've talked about so far 1) that our understanding of our "self" and "the world" are dependent on language and the concepts it encodes and 2) these things are subject to change...
ReplyDelete