Sunday, September 18, 2011

Testing Post + On Intelligibility

On Intelligibility was an interesting piece. I can agree with Saussure's view on the topic of language and how it affects a human's reality and consciousness -- it definitely required me to re-read it a couple of times but it set a lot of pre-thought ideas into perspective for me- which in itself could describe one's perception without the use of language to help- confusion and therefore, holds no importance to the viewer. A word coupled with a physical example, which would require the use of one's senses, and a description (thanks to language) helps us understand, with ease, the concept of significance (or differentiation). I would like to expand on this topic but I'm still a little fuzzy about what it comes down too. It's definitely a topic that relates to everything imaginable so I find myself jumping from idea to idea in order to give it final description...or maybe there is none because it is so broad. I do look forward to further developing my take on it and especially on reading Freud's ideas.

1 comment:

  1. I think that the first part of this class will set up concepts that will take a while to make sense of. If indeed they do ask you to rethink previously held assumptions, that is to be expected. What I most want to emphasize is how these concepts (and others) can help us rethink and ask students to reflect on the usefulness of such a perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.