Monday, September 26, 2011

The Sandman

Today's class discussion clarified a few things for me. The plot to me seemed a bit scattered and I missed some small details until we went over them in class. I didn't piece together that Coppelius and Coppola were the same person, but now that makes a lot of sense to me. I saw that they were similar before, but it just seemed as if too much time had passed to make them the same person. I'm still confused as to the significance of eyes and fire in the story, hopefully we can go over that durring out next class.

Also, it seemed as if most people read parts of the story as a hallucination, but it read to me as most of them actually happened. I'm not sure where to draw the line of hallucination and real life in this story. Although he faints often it isn't clear to me when real life stops and his mind takes over.

1 comment:

  1. It IS completely unclear how to read those passages. You could read them either way and I agree that the text itself displays them as if they were real. Plus there are elements that are beyond coincidence. Coppelius and Coppola are the same person, but how can that be? And yet that is clearly the case and not just something from Nathaniel's perspective. The story is not just telling us about something strange and uncanny, but creating the experience for us...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.