Sunday, September 25, 2011

On Dreams

After reading the esssay " On Dreams" by Freud, I understood most of it but I was able to truly understand the whole idea when we discussed everything in our lecture. It was very interesting that Freud was able to truly believe in his theory that whatever happens in a dream is to symbolize something in a greater meaning. Most of the time dreams seem to make sense or tend to be incoherent, but it could be something that we are thinking about that is expressed in a different way. Is this the reason that children dream of things that they want and cant have? I remember someone in class also asked this question. Someone once told me that whenever you are thinking about something and then you go to sleep, you are most likely to dream of the object or person that you were thinking of before. In the essay, Freud was able to remember certain people and objects that he remembers seeing in a past experience. I found it oustanding that he used people and objects in his dream that expressed to be other things such as the quote said by Frau E.L " you've always had such beautiful eyes." Freud expressed that this quotes meaning really mean that he had always got what he wanted in life, although he didnt agree. After reading this essay, I will probably be referring to Freud's theory everytime I have a dream and hope to make some sense of it!

1 comment:

  1. It is interesting to note the kind of interpretation he makes, isn't it? Usually we think of simplistic "Freudian symbols" in this regard, but looking at F's actual work we see something much more creative. The Manifest/Latent structure is useful to think about in relation to all narrative and also the "rebus" like meaning he gives to other objects.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.