Thursday, December 15, 2011

H

Just wanted to copy my notes onto the blog:

H was an exceptional read and out of all the "uncanny"-like readings we have taken on, I think it's the most relatable to some and evokes empathy from the rest. The reason why I say this is because H, despite being from many points of view, feels as if we, the reader, are browsing through someone's diary. It's all personal perspectives and to let outsiders in on this inner circle would be embarrassing. This feeling of private property is taken from many perspectives like Benjamin's mother, father, sister, doctor, friends, counselors, etc.
For Benjamin (and Elliot)-- the letters are only for Elliot(s) to see. The bit that Benjamin allows for others to see is often turned away and made fun of which only makes it harder for those who are genuinely interested in Benjamin and his fantasy world to be let in. Benjamin has it in his head that no one is going to bother dealing with him or try to understand who Elliot and what Elliottown is; this becomes a permanent rule of sorts in his world-- to not let anyone in. Precisely why Dr. Dysan hits a standstill each time he tries to work with Benjamin. Benjamin does too in a way, the reader sees a conflict arise between Benjamin and Elliot over letting others in. This (internal) conflict is seen mostly when Benjamin becomes close with Amelia. But anyway, I thought the book was great and an amazing example of what mental illness is. Many need to see it from another's perspective in order to help them and this book allows the an outsider to see the struggle of a 12 year old boy.

1 comment:

  1. I think this comment is especially perceptive:
    "Benjamin has it in his head that no one is going to bother dealing with him or try to understand who Elliot and what Elliottown is; this becomes a permanent rule of sorts in his world-- to not let anyone in.Precisely why Dr. Dysan hits a standstill each time he tries to work with Benjamin. Benjamin does too in a way, the reader sees a conflict arise between Benjamin and Elliot over letting others in."

    I also agree with you that the book is really special, both as an account of "mental illness" and as a teaching tool about reading itself.

    Remarkably, I don't think Elizabeth Shepard has written another book. I've not even been able to find short fiction from her, either. If you google her you'll find an old website made for the publication of H...it includes what looks like a side project: asking people to write their own letters to Elliot. But I have not been able to find out what happened to that project either.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.