I liked and disliked the fact that the story is so open ended. In a way, it let's my imagination roam free and make assumptions and create my own kind of story in my head. On the other hand, I wish there were more answers. I really hated the fact that the Governess is supposed to be "all-knowing", I don't like or understand how she just knows everything without any explanation. I actually found her character really annoying. She just believes that she's doing the right thing.
Out of both of these stories, I definitely liked Accursed Inhabitants a lot more, mostly because it gives a good back story to Turn of the Screw, one that seems to have been lost through the numerous narrations.
I found it helpful that we read this story after The Sandman and Freud's essay on The Uncanny. I was able to make a lot of connections between the stories myself, and the class discussions helped a lot too. The doubling of characters is something that especially sticks out to me. In both stories Freud's idea of the doppelganger is displayed very prominently. The Governess reminds me a lot of Nathaniel from The Sandman as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
YES she does get her alleged "knowing" from the fact that she believes she is right. But where do those understandings of right and wrong come from?
ReplyDeleteCan we read the story as one about the Return of the Repressed? Not the Governess's "sexual repression" but the repression of any talk of sex or class of the era?