Wednesday, October 12, 2011
Guts...
Yeah, this wasn't apart of the syllabus but class today had me super curious. I won't mention any details in case anyone hasn't read/listened to it. I read it first and it was quite captivated because it's literally the weirdest and admittedly, foul thing I've ever read- kinda hard to stop. I definitely didn't faint, nor gag or get sick. I literally just went and ate dinner afterwards completely unfazed so those however many people were probably just being dramatic. But I will note that I listened to it through YouTube again and a lot of people in the audience were laughing...which is weird. I didn't take it as something humorous, I thought it was actually kind of depressing so just wondering, what did everyone else think of it? That's all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ha ha! I expected a virtual torrent of posts about Guts in here! Thanks for posting as I'm interested in people's reactions too.
ReplyDeleteI re-read it as well as it's been a few years since I'd seen it. I had forgotten that it takes place when the narrator is very young and its mostly from a young boy's POV.
I pretty much agree with your assessment. Its a captivating story because you can tell where its going and you wonder if its really going to go all the way there...and it does. I think it also gets good effect out of how unusual the "main event" is, but it is in large part "just" a gross out story. I don't even mean that as harsh criticism: I think its a superbly done gross out story and that's kind of interesting thing to pull off.
But where I do differ from you, is that I do think it is funny. In fact, reading this time, I thought it was super hilarious. This comes not from the horrific events recounted but the way the narrator speaks of them: his funny, frank, matter-of-fact reporting, along with some very vivid descriptive bits that are amusingly rendered. I won't go into more detail or give you examples because I hope others will post their reactions without any prior "spoilers."