Thursday, October 6, 2011
So I just finished "H" and I feel it also ended rather abruptly and without answering many questions that it leaves the reader asking. It actually leaves you asking even more questions. And is the final letter, addressed "to whom it may concern" and not signed by anyone, a suicide note from Benjamin? He is released from the hospital while being weened off his medication after he has been "treated" (Elliot no longer responds to him and Elliottown has gone to the year a million- the pills and therapy have ended his hallucinations and therefore contact with Elliot). But Benjamin does not believe that Elliot is a figment of his imagination, he just believes that Elliot has left him. So when released, could he have just decided to kill himself because Elliot, the only one who truly understood him (because she was actually a part of him), had left him?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm just going to let your commnent hang, Brian. I have a lot to say...naturally...but let's get us all caught up to speed.
ReplyDeleteIn the meantime, why not think about the preponderance of letters in these narratives...