So, I started reading Fun Home and got about 20 pages into it realizing how much more of a challenge it is to read a comic like book rather than something similar to "H".
I found it interesting that for some reason when I read the first page I assumed the narrator was a male, but then realized it was in fact a woman. It mostly describes her fathers obsession with restoring their home to it's natural glory. I could tell that there was some tension between the two characters. The father was very demanding and didn't seem to show any sort of affection or even any sign of him being a parent to his child.
The narrator is constantly bringing up how the father has this ability to create something beautiful out of nothing, which ties into him obsessing over the issues in his house. I think the father has some frustrations and therefor it causes him to come off angry and abusive in a way.
Also, at first I didn't see the pattern of why the narrator kept mentioning greek myths, but when I looked into it, I started to understand the book is structured on this type of literature.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think that house could probably be considered a character in the narrative. Certainly it becomes a testament to her father's abilities and his frustrations...
ReplyDelete